Braised Pears with Soy-Ginger Glaze
- 4 Tbs (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 3 Tbs soy sauce
- 1 Tbs grated fresh ginger root
- 1/2 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 firm but ripe Bartlett or Bosc pears, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cored
- 2 Tbs unseasoned rice vinegar.
- In a 10-inch sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the soy sauce, ginger, sugar, and cayenne pepper. Stir until the sugar is melted and the ingredients are well combined and then reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the pears, cut side down, and simmer, basting frequently, until the pears are tender when pierced with a knife, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer the pears to a microwave-safe serving dish. Bring the liquid in the pan back to a slow boil and add the vinegar. Simmer the sauce until it is thick and syrupy, about 3 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the pears and serve immediately or set aside until ready to serve. Reheat in the microwave just before serving.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.